Can someone help me with the below inquiry? I want to know what they are offering is reasonable.
Thread poster: Pintoo Shah
Pintoo Shah
Pintoo Shah
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Nov 29, 2021

Below is the email message that I got from one company. I want to understand whether the rate quoted is fair or not? Per my understanding they are just paying me for the audio dubbing? What about the translation? I still have to translate to do the audio right? So why they did not include the translation rate?

The assignment is a video recording in Hindi that needs to be translated to English. The interpreter will need to make a simultaneous audio recording of the video sessi
... See more
Below is the email message that I got from one company. I want to understand whether the rate quoted is fair or not? Per my understanding they are just paying me for the audio dubbing? What about the translation? I still have to translate to do the audio right? So why they did not include the translation rate?

The assignment is a video recording in Hindi that needs to be translated to English. The interpreter will need to make a simultaneous audio recording of the video session from Hindi to English and send us it (this way the interpreter can work in their desired pace but the audio will need to be simultaneous, understood??). Think of it as if you were to mute the video recording and play the audio recording, both will simultaneously be at same pace/momentum. There will be approximately 10-15 session (about 60 min run time each) and the interpreter will need to send us the English audio in mp4 or mp4v files. The rate for this type of service is $40 per hour with 1 hour minimum. For every 60 min video session the interpreter will receive 90 min pay to convert it to English Audio. The interpreter will be given the video recording in their language (HIndi) and will later on send the audio recording in English to us.
Collapse

Andrea Robertson

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Might be a bit cheap Nov 29, 2021

But really depends on the difficulty and the quality level they expect.

If they want an unprepared-ish rough single take, watch it once at 2x speed for prep and then just do it.

If they want serious prep and serious quality, it's cheap.

PS oh wait you're in the US? Hell no that's way too cheap.

[Edited at 2021-11-29 03:04 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
It's hard to understand what they want from your description Nov 29, 2021

Pintoo Shah wrote:
The assignment is a video recording in Hindi that needs to be translated to English. The interpreter will need to make a simultaneous audio recording of the video session from Hindi to English and send us it (this way the interpreter can work in their desired pace but the audio will need to be simultaneous, understood??). Think of it as if you were to mute the video recording and play the audio recording, both will simultaneously be at same pace/momentum.

The Hindi to English interpreter has already audio-recorded the session, what does the client want you to do with it? Did they expect you to transcribe the video in Hindi into English without referencing to what has already been interpreted?

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:20
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
per hour vs per audio hour Nov 29, 2021

Vendors usually mention "per audio hour" rate for this sort of jobs. And as far as I know, in industry standards, one audio hour takes 4 hours to complete, generally. It would be good to clarify the rate with the vendor as well. $40 per hour or per audio hour?

Best,

[Edited at 2021-11-29 06:14 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rates Nov 29, 2021

Sarper Aman wrote:
And as far as I know, in industry standards, one audio hour takes 4 hours to complete, generally.
Best,

[Edited at 2021-11-29 06:14 GMT]

Are these "standards" pertaining to monolingual transcription or "transcription" into a target language?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone help me with the below inquiry? I want to know what they are offering is reasonable.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »