HELP - How much should I charge this voice over?
Thread poster: Edita Matkic (X)
Edita Matkic (X)
Edita Matkic (X)
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 18:02
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2022

Hi guys, I am writing in hopes someone will come to my aid.

I have been contacted by an agency regarding some voice overs in my native language.
While searching online, I found that an average minute of voice over goes from USD5 to 50, which did not help.
However, they are offering me a rate of USD0.10 per minute.
How much should my counteroffer be? It is a short job, 8 minutes of voice over with some translation, no professional equipment.
Thanks a lot!
... See more

I have been contacted by an agency regarding some voice overs in my native language.
While searching online, I found that an average minute of voice over goes from USD5 to 50, which did not help.
How much should my counteroffer be? It is a short job, 8 minutes of voice over with some translation, no professional equipment.
Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2022-11-30 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

Jerome Assaf

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Minimum Nov 30, 2022

Sounds like it might take half an hour or so?
Then charge your hourly rate for 1 hour and say it's your minimum fee.

(This is not unreasonable, but if they expect to pay peanuts you may lose the project...)

Edita Matkic (X)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not enough information. Nov 30, 2022

How many words are there in 8 minutes. Can be 1k+. It means you’ll be paid $0.80 for 1k words. Unless I’m missing something.

Joakim Braun

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
My two cents Nov 30, 2022

Edita Matkic wrote:

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2022-11-30 10:31 GMT]

For Asian customers I ask(ed) 10 €/min, will now ask 20 €/min, I have a client who pays 40 €/ minute, so I guess you should locate yourself somewhere in between.
For 8 minutes my best rate would be100 €, maybe something less if you don't own/run a home studio and go to the recording facility of the client.
0.10 USD/min is absurd.

[Edited at 2022-11-30 14:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-11-30 14:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP - How much should I charge this voice over?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »