Expecting an NDA, receiving a Master Contractor Agreement, standard practice?
Thread poster: Liliana Marquesini
Liliana Marquesini
Liliana Marquesini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
Mar 7, 2023

Hi,
Hope some of you could help me with this:
As a last step towards onboarding, I was told to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, standard practice, right? As it turned out, I was not sent an NDA, but an 11-page Master Contractor Agreement. Is this acceptable? Thanks for your help.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Mar 7, 2023

Liliana Marquesini wrote:
As a last step towards onboarding, I was told to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, standard practice, right? As it turned out, I was not sent an NDA, but an 11-page Master Contractor Agreement.

Some clients don't understand that there is a difference. So when they say "NDA", they mean "general agreement" (or vice versa).

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! But still feeling uneasy... Mar 7, 2023

Thanks, Samuel, that's good to know.

However, I am concerned about all those pages stating things like:
"During the term of this Agreement, Contractor shall maintain at its own expense full insurance coverage for Contractor, including a), b), ..."
"Contractor declares it is not economically dependent on Company, meaning that the annual amount of the fees invoiced to Company does not exceed 30% of the overall revenue of the Contractor." ??

I welcome your op
... See more
Thanks, Samuel, that's good to know.

However, I am concerned about all those pages stating things like:
"During the term of this Agreement, Contractor shall maintain at its own expense full insurance coverage for Contractor, including a), b), ..."
"Contractor declares it is not economically dependent on Company, meaning that the annual amount of the fees invoiced to Company does not exceed 30% of the overall revenue of the Contractor." ??

I welcome your opinion on this
Collapse

Miranda Drew
Miranda Drew  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Let them know what points you don't agree with Mar 7, 2023

If there are points that mean I won't sign the agreement, I usually reach out to the client and ask them to change those sections or point out how those sections don't apply to me. Often you get legal deparments copy/pasting agreements in different fields so they contain a lot of things that don't or can't actually apply to your situation.

In the past I've had companies tell me to cross out those sections I noted and then sign the document.

Peter Dahm Robertson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
Christine Andersen
Anastasia Naoumi
Dr. Matthias Schauen

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestion Mar 7, 2023

Thanks, Miranda, you restored my confidence

Miranda Drew

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Liliana Mar 7, 2023

When a contract contains parts I don’t agree with I either don’t sign it or if I happen to be interested in working with that particular client or in that project, I tell them which parts I don’t agree with (I must say though that I only managed once to have those parts deleted). On another occasion I crossed out one paragraph I didn’t agree with and signed it. A few months later after I had worked on several projects, they asked me why (apparently, they hadn’t noticed…), I am still ... See more
When a contract contains parts I don’t agree with I either don’t sign it or if I happen to be interested in working with that particular client or in that project, I tell them which parts I don’t agree with (I must say though that I only managed once to have those parts deleted). On another occasion I crossed out one paragraph I didn’t agree with and signed it. A few months later after I had worked on several projects, they asked me why (apparently, they hadn’t noticed…), I am still working with them…Collapse

Philip Lees
Miranda Drew

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:49
German to English
Disguised employment relationship Mar 7, 2023

Liliana Marquesini wrote:

I welcome your opinion on this

This is to avoid what the International Labor Organization calls a "disguised employment relationship" that is, a scheme to employ a person full-time without providing statutory benefits. That is, the company cannot knowingly provide more than 30% of your income. – and you cannot claim full employment benefits from that company. I can't imagine that in the event of an audit, a comparison of the company's payments to you and your actual income would be performed. There have been a few times when a single client has provided more than 30% of my translation income in a given year, and I suspect that I'm not the only one. Basically you don't need to keep close track of your payments from the client and stop working for them until your other clients have provided 2/3 of your income.

[Edited at 2023-03-07 14:42 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Daryo

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Maria Teresa Mar 7, 2023

The client has sent me the document through a platform where the only action allowed is to sign... But I can still have a discussion with them before signing.
Thanks, María Teresa, for sharing your experience.

Liliana Marquesini
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
@Kevin Mar 7, 2023

Now that paragraph makes perfect sense!
Thanks, Kevin, for the explanation

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Just sign this...or not Mar 8, 2023

Hi Liliana
A few of the things you mention are what I'd consider warning signs that would dampen my signing enthusiasm, but if there's no hold harmless clause it's probably OK.

If there are clauses such as "you will pay big buckaroos for any damages caused directly or indirectly to us, our clients, our clients clients, their grandmothers or her kitchen sink... whatever, for me that's kinda the limit.

[Edited at 2023-03-08 13:20 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Peter Dahm Robertson
Mako Fabris

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why worry? Mar 8, 2023

Jo Macdonald wrote:
A few of the things you mention are what I'd consider warning signs that would dampen my signing enthusiasm, but if there's no hold harmless clause it's probably OK.

If there are clauses such as "you will pay big buckaroos for any damages caused directly or indirectly to us, our clients, our clients clients, their grandmothers or her kitchen sink... whatever, for me that's kinda the limit.

[Edited at 2023-03-08 13:20 GMT]

Or do what I do and just sign everything on the assumption that the agency will never try to enforce it anyway because legally it's not worth the paper it's written on/it's not worth their while pursuing that kind of money internationally/you're not likely to be sufficiently negligent to trigger any such clauses.

Has anyone here ever had an NDA or non-compete clause enforced against them?

Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:49
English to Turkish
Just because you're paranoid... Mar 8, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

Or do what I do and just sign everything on the assumption that the agency will never try to enforce it anyway because legally it's not worth the paper it's written on/it's not worth their while pursuing that kind of money internationally/you're not likely to be sufficiently negligent to trigger any such clauses.

The topics on NDAs always remind me of this clip... brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrajM-aG4tc

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Computer says no Mar 8, 2023

Baran Keki wrote:
The topics on NDAs always remind me of this clip... brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrajM-aG4tc

Sadly, even though I personally funded that show with 20% of my own blood, sweat and tears, I'm not allowed to watch it. You furriners get all the luck...

Dan Lucas
Baran Keki

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:49
English to Turkish
Your feather would be proud... Mar 9, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
You furriners get all the luck...

As a furriner, it took me years to get through his accent and appreciate his humour, but it was well worth it. Too bad he's wasting his talent cooped up in his room playing Euro truck simulator and other stupid computer games these days...

[Edited at 2023-03-09 07:23 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
I dunno Mar 10, 2023

Just doesn't feel right.
I've said no to quite a few potential clients for this reason so you could be right.

I did try to change my attitude once in a content writing contract but just ended up refusing every job because the contract felt unfair. The jobs were of the "I need this for yesterday" kind, so...

Ice Scream wrote:

Christopher Schröder

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Expecting an NDA, receiving a Master Contractor Agreement, standard practice?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »