evawin
evawin  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:34
Member (2010)
English to Danish
+ ...
May 10, 2023

Hallo everybody, I have just received an email via Proz.com form a translation company about training for AI. I hope that they will not get success in hiring people. We all can see that the companies now use MT and then pay a half price for PEMT even though sometimes it takes almost as long as translation from the scratch.
If we not stop this development we can soon loose our fantastic jobs, so remember, don't saw off the branch you are sitting on!

Baran Keki
Somnath Dey
Marina Taffetani
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Christopher Schröder
Laurent Di Raimondo
Robert Rietvelt

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:34
English to Turkish
I second that May 10, 2023

They're already offering such insulting rates as 15 cents per word with their hideous CAT tool schemes, I'd hate to imagine the kind of rates they're going to come up with using AI. 13 cents per word? 12 cents per word? How can they expect you to live with 12 cents per word for god sakes?

Christopher Schröder
Andriy Yasharov
Philip Lees

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
It's work... May 10, 2023

...so they will always find people to do it. I suggest you stop wasting your time by thinking you (or 'we') can still reverse this trend. Focus on customers who don't care about AI, adapt or look for another job.

Baran Keki
Lucy Leite
Christopher Schröder
Jorge Payan
finnword1
Laura Kingdon
Kevin Fulton

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Use NMT and AI for your own purposes May 10, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Focus on customers who don't care about AI, adapt or look for another job.

Make sure that you will be the one who benefits from using NMT and AI, not your clients. You have the final responsibility and you are the one who decides on the correctness of NMT and AI suggestions.

So ... never accept any projects that have been "pre-translated"*) with NMT or AI. Instead: use these engines yourself in your CAT tool! Decide from segment to segment if you can use any suggestion at all. In whole or in part.

*) It is utterly nonsense to "pre-translate" a whole project with NMT (or AI), since especially NMT doesn't take context into account (yet).

Thomas Pfann
Kris Liu
Philip Lees

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Good advice, but... May 10, 2023

Hans Lenting wrote:
Make sure that you will be the one who benefits from using NMT and AI, not your clients. You have the final responsibility and you are the one who decides on the correctness of NMT and AI suggestions.

So ... never accept any projects that have been "pre-translated"*) with NMT or AI. Instead: use these engines yourself in your CAT tool! Decide from segment to segment if you can use any suggestion at all. In whole or in part.

...I do both, meaning that I use it to my benefit and that I also accept pre-translated post-editing jobs. I don't agree that it is utter nonsense to accept those jobs. It took me a while, but I can say today that they are as profitable as conventional translation. I work for agencies and I'm convinced those pre-translated jobs will be increasingly offered in the future, so I thought it would be interesting if I could learn myself to master them in a profitable way. So I did.

[Edited at 2023-05-10 10:08 GMT]

Lucy Leite
Jorge Payan
Fiona Grace Peterson
Laura Kingdon
Vi Pukite

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
No problem May 10, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

I work for agencies and I'm convinced those pre-translated jobs will be increasingly offered in the future

I won't accept these jobs, but hey, feel free to enjoy these ...

Philip Lees

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First MT and now AI

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »