Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jun 20, 2023

Just got the following personal email from an Agency registered on Proz and apparently based in Vilnius (Lithuania) and with a string of "5" ratings on the Blue Board:

Dear Tom,

I hope you are well. 😊

We have an IT>EN project that would require your expertise. Would you agree to work with us on this project?
Please find more details regarding this project below: PROJECT SPECIALIZATION: General JOB TYPE: MT post-editin
... See more
Just got the following personal email from an Agency registered on Proz and apparently based in Vilnius (Lithuania) and with a string of "5" ratings on the Blue Board:

Dear Tom,

I hope you are well. 😊

We have an IT>EN project that would require your expertise. Would you agree to work with us on this project?
Please find more details regarding this project below: PROJECT SPECIALIZATION: General JOB TYPE: MT post-editing
TOOLS: OneForma platform
START DATE: as soon as possible
WORKLOAD: as per your needs
LANGUAGE COMBINATION: Italian to English
PAYMENT TERM: 30 days after the invoice is issued

Please note that before joining this project we ask to perform a test translation. This mandatory assignment is a part of our onboarding process and is designed to gauge your skills and give us an idea of your linguistic competence. The test will be paid only if it is a pass.
=====

What to do:

- APPLY HERE: https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- We will send you our Service Provision Agreement, so you would be legally protected.
- You will write “Agree” and send your payment details.
- We will start sending tasks via our system.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Apart from the bad English, this is absurd: they expect me to go through this long complicated "onboarding" (I cringe at that word) process, including entering into a legal agreement, learning how to use their software, and a test (unpaid unless I pass) for a miserable post-editing job I wouldn't be interested in anyway. And they don't give any information about the job; first of all you're expected to sign up and go through their "onboarding" process, which begins like this when you click on the link in the email (I have deleted my email address, which they must have obtained from Proz or somewhere else). I have no idea why it says TWITTER at the top:

Screenshot

No thanks. This whole thing looks like a scam to obtain people's personal information. This is confirmed by some of the TrustPilot reviews of the OneForma platform: https://tinyurl.com/24ln998x

My only question to colleagues is: should I suggest to Proz that this agency may be fraudulent?

[Edited at 2023-06-20 08:36 GMT]
Collapse

Radmila Sobacic
Emanuele Vacca
Marina Aleyeva
Bernhard Sulzer

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:57
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Looks like the ISAAC project Jun 20, 2023

It sounds like the (infamous) ISAAC project, aiming at training MT engines. It's funny how they are constantly looking for people for the job as probably no one wants to do it.

Tom in London
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
P.L.F. Persio
Marina Aleyeva
Geoffrey Black
Andriy Yasharov
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Retaining data Jun 20, 2023

According to the TrustPilot reviews, they ask you for all kinds of personal data before telling you what the project actually is. Then they retain the data, after you've given them permission to do whatever they want with it. And you can't delete the data. Anyone who makes the mistake of going into that "onboarding" process - by clicking "yes" on the very first question - may be heading for big trouble.

"One must be so careful these days." (T S Eliot: The Waste Land, 1922)

P.L.F. Persio
Marina Aleyeva
Lieven Malaise

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ISAAC project Jun 20, 2023

Adding to what Emanuele said the Isaac project also runs on OneForma and also announces that the workload is per the translator’s needs (?!). I don’t believe in coincidences like that…
... See more
Adding to what Emanuele said the Isaac project also runs on OneForma and also announces that the workload is per the translator’s needs (?!). I don’t believe in coincidences like that…

https://www.google.com/search?q="oneforma"%20"isaac%20project"&rlz=1C1PNBB_enPT998PT999&oq="oneforma"%20"isaac%20project"&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i546l4.10551j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Collapse

Tom in London
Marina Aleyeva
IrinaN
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
BlueBoard Jun 20, 2023

One more reason never to trust what you see on the BlueBoard.

Aurélien ARPAZ
expressisverbis
Michael Newton

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I received it Jun 20, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Tom,

I hope you are well. 😊

Please find more details regarding this project below: PROJECT SPECIALIZATION: General JOB TYPE: MT post-editing

Please note that before joining this project we ask to perform a test translation. This mandatory assignment is a part of our onboarding process and is designed to gauge your skills and give us an idea of your linguistic competence. The test will be paid only if it is a pass.
=====

What to do:

- We will send you our Service Provision Agreement, so you would be legally protected.

Apart from the bad English, this is absurd: they expect me to go through this long complicated "onboarding" (I cringe at that word) process, including entering into a legal agreement, learning how to use their software, and a test (unpaid unless I pass) for a miserable post-editing job I wouldn't be interested in anyway. And they don't give any information about the job; first of all you're expected to sign up and go through their "onboarding" process, which begins like this when you click on the link in the email (I have deleted my email address, which they must have obtained from Proz or somewhere else). I have no idea why it says TWITTER at the top:

Screenshot

No thanks. This whole thing looks like a scam to obtain people's personal information. This is confirmed by some of the TrustPilot reviews of the OneForma platform: https://tinyurl.com/24ln998x

My only question to colleagues is: should I suggest to Proz that this agency may be fraudulent?

I just replied that I do not provide tests, not sure if it is a scam.

Tom in London

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
My two cents Jun 20, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Tom,

I hope you are well. 😊

=====

What to do:

Screenshot

I don't know whether it is a scam or not, but I would stay away of it for more then one reason: I don't like their MO. It screams too much hassles for nothing, and certainly not for my (your?) rate.

My advice: 'Go to the next job'

[Edited at 2023-06-20 22:11 GMT]

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:57
Greek to English
Offboarding Jun 21, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Anyone who makes the mistake of going into that "onboarding" process - by clicking "yes" on the very first question - may be heading for big trouble.

"One must be so careful these days." (T S Eliot: The Waste Land, 1922)

Any potential client who uses the word "onboarding" immediately gets a black mark from me. Apart from anything else, the term should only be used for employees, not business associates recruited on a contract basis. So its misuse in this way suggests a client with an unhealthy attitude towards freelance translators.

A request for "onboarding" often leads immediately to "offboarding" from my side.

"The awful daring of a moment's surrender
Which an age of prudence can never retract"

Ibid.

Tom in London
Korana Lasić
Agneta Pallinder
Zea_Mays
Peter Dahm Robertson
expressisverbis

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 10:57
English to Finnish
+ ...
Exactly Jun 21, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

One more reason never to trust what you see on the BlueBoard.

Like when you see that an agency has received 16 "fives" on the same day.

Tom in London
Angie Garbarino

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I got the same request for IT-DE Jun 21, 2023

I gently declined as I do no MTPE and no test translation, either.

Tom in London
Angie Garbarino
Bernhard Sulzer

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:57
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I also got the same offer Jun 25, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Tom,

I hope you are well. 😊

=====

What to do:

Screenshot

I don't know what their intentions are, but I got the same message in my language pairs for FR-JP, DE-JP and IT-JP. I kindly declined their offer, since they told me that they only pay by the hour which I charge by the number of source words.

However, two weeks later, they sent me exactly the same messages in the above-mentioned pairs by the same PM who sent me the first round of inquiry two weeks ago, although I have clearly stated that I only go by the number of source words the first time. I pointed this out to the PM that you have sent me exactly the same messages two weeks ago which I have clearly declined already, so I had to say no again.

I don't know what they're up to; maybe it's just a scam or the infamous ISAAC project like Emanuele pointed out, or just trying to increase the number of linguists in their database, but it seemed to me that they are desperate in securing linguists in the language pairs I work in.

Tom in London

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
They don't even check the language Jun 26, 2023

I got the same message for French-Spanish. Nowhere in my profile I state that I translate into Spanish...

expressisverbis
Tom in London
Angie Garbarino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Absurd work proposition - possibly a scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »