T&C, what is standard practice?
Thread poster: Valeria Morati
Valeria Morati
Valeria Morati  Identity Verified
Italy
Jul 4, 2023

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the translation industry, therefore I am seeking some advice about standard practice for agreements with LSPs.
Specifically, in the T&C I am asked to sign to collaborate with this LSP, I am informed they might resource to me if they suffer damage due to "incomplete, delayed or defective work". While "incomplete" and "delayed" are clear-cut definitions, I think "defective work" is ambiguous. I worry there might be room for unfair claims on
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the translation industry, therefore I am seeking some advice about standard practice for agreements with LSPs.
Specifically, in the T&C I am asked to sign to collaborate with this LSP, I am informed they might resource to me if they suffer damage due to "incomplete, delayed or defective work". While "incomplete" and "delayed" are clear-cut definitions, I think "defective work" is ambiguous. I worry there might be room for unfair claims on the part of the LSP in this wording. I do not intend to submit flawed translations, but I also want to protect myself against possible unjust treatment.
If these terms are standard in the industry, I assume I shouldn't be worrying about it, and that common sense is applied to what is considered "defective work".

Thank you in advance to any experienced colleagues for their opinion.
All the best,

Valeria
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:13
Danish to English
+ ...
No problem with this one Jul 4, 2023

I have encountered many unreasonable clauses in T&Cs, NDAs, etc., but I don't see any problem with this one. It doesn't say anything else than what civil liability legislation in many jurisdictions does, i.e. that a supplier can be held to account for their work. The agency doesn't need a signed contract to do that.

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Peter Dahm Robertson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Valeria Morati
Valeria Morati  Identity Verified
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 5, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I have encountered many unreasonable clauses in T&Cs, NDAs, etc., but I don't see any problem with this one. It doesn't say anything else than what civil liability legislation in many jurisdictions does, i.e. that a supplier can be held to account for their work. The agency doesn't need a signed contract to do that.

I am not familiar with these aspects yet, thus your feedback has been very useful.
Thank you to those who took the time to corroborate this answer, as well.
All the best.

[Edited at 2023-07-05 08:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T&C, what is standard practice?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »