Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Help with survey for Master's thesis: Impact of Covid-19 pandemic on Freelance Translators
Thread poster: Katrin Glatzer
Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:31
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Jul 8, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I know personally a few good translators (around my age, meaning as old as I am) who don’t have a degree.

In my experience the best translators have transitioned after spending years in other careers (with or without a degree). Translation degrees aren't worth that much, though other degrees are valuable - say, in economics, law, technology or medicine. Wide practical experience in non-translation fields, along with a few years' translation practise, tends to produce good translators.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Adieu
Vi Pukite
Josephine Cassar
Daryo

Katrin Glatzer
Katrin Glatzer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
degree Jul 8, 2022

Hi Joakim,
Thanks for your remarks. Personally, I agree to your last reply to Teresa.
For the degree question an additional category such as "secondary school degree" would probably have helped.
Kind regards,
Katrin

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Different experience. Jul 8, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
In my experience the best translators have transitioned after spending years in other careers (with or without a degree). Translation degrees aren't worth that much, though other degrees are valuable - say, in economics, law, technology or medicine. Wide practical experience in non-translation fields, along with a few years' translation practise, tends to produce good translators.

In my experience those people tend to lack linguistic skills (thorough understanding of the language translated from, spelling and grammar). Of course my point of view is anecdotal because I've only met a few people in that situation during my career, but it's actually understandable: linguistic education has it's (high) value. I'm not saying it's impossible without, but I honestly can't believe there are a lot of good translators that have never had a linguistic education.

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
done Jul 11, 2022

Thank you for this survey, very nice to help.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with survey for Master's thesis: Impact of Covid-19 pandemic on Freelance Translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »