Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
English to German
+ ...
Aug 29, 2022

Is there a way, Proz.com staff, to give great positive exposure to agencies and direct clients on the job board that pay/suggest at least what is mentioned on your translation rate page for rates? Those rates would be closer to what 80% of translators charge or want to charge. It would also attract professionals like me to check your board more often, especially if this positive image is something an agency will want and sees as an image booster, not just for us translators but for their clients... See more
Is there a way, Proz.com staff, to give great positive exposure to agencies and direct clients on the job board that pay/suggest at least what is mentioned on your translation rate page for rates? Those rates would be closer to what 80% of translators charge or want to charge. It would also attract professionals like me to check your board more often, especially if this positive image is something an agency will want and sees as an image booster, not just for us translators but for their clients as well?!

I mean it seems ok for you to let us know when prospective clients suggest a rate that's less than what 80% of translators charge (according to their published rates), so can't we put a positive spin on agencies or individuals that are clearly a cut above and pay at least what is suggested on your rate page? And what about those who suggest top rates, i.e. above of what is suggested on your rate page? Can we put a disclaimer up, possibly colorful, for that kind of job post?
That should be okay. You do denounce very low rates - why else put up a disclaimer for that?!

I believe this would show you actually care for us translators.

[Edited at 2022-08-29 23:40 GMT]
Collapse

John GBOTCHE
Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Lingua 5B
Luca Colangelo
Vladimir Pochinov
Joe France

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:58
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Super client star. Aug 30, 2022

Yes, and label them “super client” or similar.

Bernhard Sulzer

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Cui bono? Aug 30, 2022

As far as I know, most established agencies are not actively recruiting applicants, relying instead on recommendations by established translators. The companies I've worked for rarely – if ever – advertise here, because, quite simply, on the whole Proz doesn't represent their desired applicant pool. Listing an agency on the Blueboard as a superlative client would result in an avalanche of unwelcome applicants.

The only benefit I can imagine that might possibly accrue to a transl
... See more
As far as I know, most established agencies are not actively recruiting applicants, relying instead on recommendations by established translators. The companies I've worked for rarely – if ever – advertise here, because, quite simply, on the whole Proz doesn't represent their desired applicant pool. Listing an agency on the Blueboard as a superlative client would result in an avalanche of unwelcome applicants.

The only benefit I can imagine that might possibly accrue to a translator assigning such a designation to a company would be to gain favor with said agency. This could have negative consequences for the poster if held responsible for an influx of applications from dubiously-qualified translators.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Hans Lenting
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Alison Jenner
Thayenga
Miranda Drew

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Benefits all around Aug 30, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

The only benefit I can imagine that might possibly accrue to a translator assigning such a designation to a company would be to gain favor with said agency. This could have negative consequences for the poster if held responsible for an influx of applications from dubiously-qualified translators.

I took Lingua's comment more as tongue-in-cheek. Although that's what they would be, those agencies, and I would applaud them for it and somehow emphasize it.

And yes, currently good agencies are hard to find here. But this is a huge translator base, and I still advertise through it and can be found on the Internet through my profile. And all good agencies have an interest in finding excellent people and also communicating their own worth - it's part of their image. And we will also be able to give them favorable feedback.

If we let people expressly know here about the cheap agencies who offer 1-6 US Cents per word on the job board, we should let them know about those who are on the level, and not just not say anything about them. Do you see the educational value? That there are better agencies?!
Not sure about your comment on the benefits accrued to a translator assigning such a designation to an agency.

I suggested a disclaimer by Proz.com. This would be based on the rates reported by translators, just like the current warning about agencies that propose much less than 80% of what translators expect. Problem with that is it doesn't tell you what really is an acceptable rate. Especially if the majority of posts comes from low-budget agencies.

As suggested, a more prominent disclaimer could be provided for agencies that post in the 80% rate range (for English to German it was between 8 and 11 US Cents per source word). Don't see anything wrong with that. And why not give that some sort of emphasis, even if it's just a color font? We want better agencies on here and I'm sure Proz.com does too. It would be beneficial to us if good agencies see the marketing value in that. Who doesn't want to work for such an agency or get their translations from them?

[Edited at 2022-08-30 14:34 GMT]

Dr. Matthias Schauen
Dr. Matthias Schauen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
Side note: ProZ Community rates seem broken Aug 30, 2022

Hi, just a side note: The Community rates feature of ProZ.com seems broken in several ways and I would not trust it to be any indication of current rates published by colleagues:
1. The filter function for areas of specialization does not work at all. It always gives about the same rates and sample sizes, regardless of specialization (automobiles, business, cooking, genetics, surveying, etc.). I reported this to Support in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019, and then gave up.
2. The data base
... See more
Hi, just a side note: The Community rates feature of ProZ.com seems broken in several ways and I would not trust it to be any indication of current rates published by colleagues:
1. The filter function for areas of specialization does not work at all. It always gives about the same rates and sample sizes, regardless of specialization (automobiles, business, cooking, genetics, surveying, etc.). I reported this to Support in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019, and then gave up.
2. The data base that is used to determine those rates seems deprecated. The average hourly rate reported for EN>DE translations was 36.48EUR/hour in 2015 with a sample size of around 6600. Now, 7 years later, the rate is 36.50EUR/hour with a sample size of 9200, so zero change. That is hard to believe.

Matthias
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Katalin Horváth McClure

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe Proz.com staff can comment on that Aug 30, 2022

Dr. Matthias Schauen wrote:

2. The data base that is used to determine those rates seems deprecated. The average hourly rate reported for EN>DE translations was 36.48EUR/hour in 2015 with a sample size of around 6600. Now, 7 years later, the rate is 36.50EUR/hour with a sample size of 9200, so zero change. That is hard to believe.

Matthias

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not to mention... Aug 30, 2022

Not to mention that there are possibly quite a lot of translators who publish a rather high rate, but at the same time accept work for lower rates. I mean, what would stop me from stating that my rate is 0,11 euros pro word, hoping I will get offered work for that rate, but in the meanwhile mainly working for a rate (far) below that one?

Josephine Cassar
Baran Keki
Kay Denney
Laura Kingdon

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's wrong with wanting to see 8-11 Cents instead of 1-6 Cents per word jobs on the job board? Aug 30, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Not to mention that there are possibly quite a lot of translators who publish a rather high rate, but at the same time accept work for lower rates. I mean, what would stop me from stating that my rate is 0,11 euros pro word, hoping I will get offered work for that rate, but in the meanwhile mainly working for a rate (far) below that one?

There are agencies that do pay good rates, I work for a few myself. And it is in our interest to see them on the job board and not the low-budget ones, preferably. It is in their and our interest that they are pointed out somehow when they post a decent rate range because it shows they are professional. And they are looking for professionals. It's about professionalism. It's called PROZ dot com. It should be driven by professionalism. And I'm sorry, but 1-6 US Cents/per word for translation isn't professional.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Misunderstanding? Aug 30, 2022

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
There are agencies that do pay good rates, I work for a few myself. And it is in our interest to see them on the job board and not the low-budget ones, preferably. It is in their and our interest that they are pointed out somehow when they post a decent rate range because it shows they are professional. And they are looking for professionals. It's about professionalism. It's called PROZ dot com. It should be driven by professionalism. And I'm sorry, but 1-6 US Cents/per word for translation isn't professional.

Of course there are agencies that pay good rates. I was just pointing out that the rates published on this website don't necessarily reflect reality.

Mike Donlin
Mike Donlin
SITE STAFF
Promoting rates, community rates Aug 30, 2022

Hi Bernhard,

ProZ.com does not get involved with rates charged for services as that relationship is between the freelancer and the client.

Your idea surely comes from a good place. Perhaps there are other ways to indicate the most attractive outsourcers that could be added to the job posting area.

---

Hi Matthias,

I am going to ask around about your question on community rates.

Mike

Bernhard Sulzer
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incentives to be/stay here Aug 30, 2022

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Number 1 factor in my book to be an attractive outsourcer is the rate.
Although there might be other additional ways to indicate attractive outsourcers, to me, they need to accept this community, meaning the rate range suggested by 80% of translators here. Anything else really comes second. [edited]

The issue is that we don't see these agencies much - as someone pointed out they usually don't come here. It's also a fact that this is
... See more
Thanks for your reply Mike.

Number 1 factor in my book to be an attractive outsourcer is the rate.
Although there might be other additional ways to indicate attractive outsourcers, to me, they need to accept this community, meaning the rate range suggested by 80% of translators here. Anything else really comes second. [edited]

The issue is that we don't see these agencies much - as someone pointed out they usually don't come here. It's also a fact that this is a huge platform for any outsourcers, and you're overtaken by low-budget outsourcers on the job board. It's not attractive to us at all and takes away the incentive to even apply for posted jobs. When you do, it's mostly a disappointing experience of being totally ignored.

This isn't getting better.
Simply pointing out that an outsourcer is quoting/accepting community rates seems fair enough to me.

They deserve recognition. That recognition will be an incentive for them to come here and post jobs.

If there is no incentive, I'm afraid the downward spiral on the job board will continue.

We all need incentives to be here.

[Edited at 2022-08-30 20:59 GMT]

Add-on:
If the rate is too low, there's nothing that can attract me to an outsourcer or make them look attractive. So any other attractive factors must come in addition to a decent rate.

[Edited at 2022-08-31 03:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-08-31 03:15 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Hooben
expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
good clients Aug 30, 2022

A "5" on a client Blue Board has very little meaning nowadays. Sycophant translators are only too happy to praise a mediocre agency. There is very little incentive to become a proz.com member nowadays as the majority of agencies are bottom feeders and the "opportunities" they post are for the truly desperate. Ditch the agencies and go to direct clients.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good clients Aug 31, 2022

I do agree that good agencies deserve recognition, but that being said some of the very good agencies I have been working with are not on Proz. Selfishly I prefer it that way

Lieven Malaise
Kevin Fulton
Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Indeed. Aug 31, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

I do agree that good agencies deserve recognition, but that being said some of the very good agencies I have been working with are not on Proz. Selfishly I prefer it that way

I don't trust any of the agencies that regularly post jobs on this platform. None of my clients post jobs here or elsewhere (at least not in my language pairs). And why would they? There are a zillion translators out there, so how difficult can it be to establish a base of trusted translators with agreed rates over time?

If I ever feel the need to address new agencies, I will start by avoiding the ones that post here. They often have a good score on the Blue Board, but if you look closer into the comments, a lot of the responses come from translators who did one job and explicitely state that they hope for more. Enough said.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Lieven Aug 31, 2022

Truth being said, I also work with agencies that are on Proz and I’m happy with them.

On the other side, I occasionally outsource work and I know exactly which Proz member(s) I should contact directly without having to post jobs here…

Lieven Malaise

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Make good clients look good on the job board

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »