Lots of transcription and subtitling jobs at an incredibly low cost on the job board
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
English to German
+ ...
Sep 18, 2022

The agencies posting these jobs must find a lot of willing language workers doing the job at incredibly low prices. I'm sweating just reading those posts. They keep posting and posting, demanding ridiculous rates.
Just an observation. Proz on Proz.com??!! Certainly not.
Please check community rates.
To Proz.com: Maybe a different name would be appropriate for your site. Or a very strong warning for people viewing these jobs. Just trying to help.

Adieu
Yaotl Altan
DominicDannies

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:31
Danish to English
+ ...
A different interpretation Sep 18, 2022

If they had a sufficient number of language coolies, sorry, translators, for such tasks, they wouldn't need to keep posting jobs. I sometimes notice that agencies I have declined to work for, mainly because of unsatisfactory conditions, keep posting jobs. If they behaved properly, they could attract and keep qualified translators and wouldn't need to keep posting jobs.

As for Proz, it is not their mission to regulate the market. Any translator with some common sense can ignore such
... See more
If they had a sufficient number of language coolies, sorry, translators, for such tasks, they wouldn't need to keep posting jobs. I sometimes notice that agencies I have declined to work for, mainly because of unsatisfactory conditions, keep posting jobs. If they behaved properly, they could attract and keep qualified translators and wouldn't need to keep posting jobs.

As for Proz, it is not their mission to regulate the market. Any translator with some common sense can ignore such jobs.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan
Philip Lees
Adieu
Stuart Hoskins
Christel Zipfel

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I'm having a cold tonight Sep 18, 2022

*cough*AVTE*cough*

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 20:31
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I agree with Thomas. Sep 18, 2022

Having to keep posting those jobs is a clear sign of weakness.

I'm under the impression you focus way too much on Proz. There's a whole translation world outside of Proz. None of my clients, for example, is active on Proz by posting jobs. And of course they aren't: any decent agency has its own base of preferred translators, so they don't need platforms like Proz to 'sell' their jobs.

Thomas T. Frost
Jean Lachaud
expressisverbis
Emanuele Vacca
Yaotl Altan
Francesca Grandinetti

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:31
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree with Tomas and Lieven Sep 19, 2022

Most of my long-standing customers (some are translation agencies) are not on Proz. I must say though that I have been found here by some very good clients (even a well-known international human rights organization) which have very interesting projects and are willing to pay my rates…

Thomas T. Frost
laurgi
Lieven Malaise
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Emanuele Vacca

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
low cost subtitling jobs Sep 19, 2022

Evitez-les, alors! Sakereba ii! But when you really think about it, the subtitles will probably go on Netflix and the company will earn big bucks!)

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The point of my post ... Sep 19, 2022

... is that it isn't professional to allow these terrible jobs to be posted and to accept them. IMO And still it is allowed and happens all the time. It is bad for the professional translation market. You might think it has no effect on you, but think again.
It isn't about finding a good job on here, on the job board or in direct negotiations. It's about dirty players being here under the umbrella "Proz.com."
It isn't professional to say we are professionals and then allow or ignore
... See more
... is that it isn't professional to allow these terrible jobs to be posted and to accept them. IMO And still it is allowed and happens all the time. It is bad for the professional translation market. You might think it has no effect on you, but think again.
It isn't about finding a good job on here, on the job board or in direct negotiations. It's about dirty players being here under the umbrella "Proz.com."
It isn't professional to say we are professionals and then allow or ignore this type of demand from irresponsible players. It isn't right to say we don't get involved with rates but allow those rates. Yes, my take.
But this has now been going on for many years.
All I do is discourage new translators from getting caught in this mess and become a willing cog in the cheap wheel. But without any support, why should I even care anymore? It's not about me personally, it's about the business. The big picture.
And I feel ridiculous being a member. I know, I can leave.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
expressisverbis
DominicDannies

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
The woes of audiovisual translators Sep 19, 2022

Audiovisual translators (which encompass transcribers and subtitlers) have been fighting this battle for quite some time now. This is the main reason why we are unionizing and have become very vocal against all forms of exploitation done by some outsourcers. Personally, I don't expect any help from normie translators or ProZ to alleviate our working conditions. That being said, your support and kind intention are much appreciated, Bernhard.

[Edited at 2022-09-19 16:36 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
We wash our hands of such matters... Sep 21, 2022

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

{...}It isn't about finding a good job on here, on the job board or in direct negotiations. It's about dirty players being here under the umbrella "Proz.com."
It isn't professional to say we are professionals and then allow or ignore this type of demand from irresponsible players. It isn't right to say we don't get involved with rates but allow those rates. Yes, my take.
But this has now been going on for many years. {...}

Yes, this is really the crux of the matter. Allowing the posting of insultingly low rates - and also enabling corporate members/users to do mass mailings of offers of insultingly low rates - simply cheapen the market, and degrade the general conception of the work that translators do.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if an internet portal for attorneys allowed the posting of gigs offering, say, $10 or $15 an hour (with payment 90 days after invoicing)? Would the operators of such a portal be able to escape the wrath of the lawyers by claiming that their job is not to regulate the market, and by reminding site members that they are not obliged to accept any posted offer?

And I feel ridiculous being a member. I know, I can leave.

I also feel ridiculous being a member, and for that reason I will not be renewing when my current membership expires in November.

Enough is enough!

Sadek_A
Bernhard Sulzer
expressisverbis
Daryo
AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
By the way Sep 21, 2022

By the way, I’d like to use this opportunity to inform my fellow subtitlers, that such peanut offers usually come from tier 2 agencies and beyond. That is, they were hired by the agencies in the higher tier. If you must work with an agency, aim for those in the tier 1. It’s about time we put an end to this silliness. But if at all possible, it’s better to work with direct clients.

[Edited at 2022-09-21 14:04 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Sep 21, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
As for Proz, it is not their mission to regulate the market.

Not "the market", but simply "proz's market", just like any other "business" regulates for fair dealings.

expressisverbis
Thayenga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lots of transcription and subtitling jobs at an incredibly low cost on the job board

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »