A pending payment issue for around 8-9 years, remained unattended. What should I do?
Thread poster: PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:11
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 24, 2022

Dear friends,

Here is a situation in which a series of payment remain unattended since 2013 perhaps.

A client posted a job on proz and I applied to it as I am free at the moment. Along with that I checked with my invoices herein proz.com system, wherein I saw unpaid invoices.
The client sent an email mentioning the job nos. and payment mentioning that he has done the payment, and it was in the year 2013. After then, I couldn't find any other reminder or anything t
... See more
Dear friends,

Here is a situation in which a series of payment remain unattended since 2013 perhaps.

A client posted a job on proz and I applied to it as I am free at the moment. Along with that I checked with my invoices herein proz.com system, wherein I saw unpaid invoices.
The client sent an email mentioning the job nos. and payment mentioning that he has done the payment, and it was in the year 2013. After then, I couldn't find any other reminder or anything that I could have emailed perhaps, but, may be because of full-time jobs or other reasons, the issue remain unattended. The client sent a query in 2019, but I didn't respond as I was busy then, perhaps. Also there is a possibility, that I might not have responded looking at pending invoices on proz platform. That's a precautionary approach actually.

Now, I had good talking terms those days with him and today, when I called him, he frankly, it might not be possible for him to check that old record. Still I requested him friendly, if anything can be done in this regard, please do.

I know I shall wait for his response, but what shall be my next response in case of non-payment? Also, I wish to continue with friendly relations as well because you never know, where and when you may require or get a professional friends help in our industry. Friendships are also very important. Looking for a response from other experienced translators or agency friends, here! Thank you all!

Note: Adding to the above words, I have also checked the then related months' bank statement, saved in my inbox and there is no payment of that amount, that I should have received.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:41
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
If I... Sep 24, 2022

...may ask you, friendly, what sum does he owe you, perhaps, since 2013? I just wonder, how much it would be today, with all the zero to negative interests to apply because of several economical reasons, and whether it wouldn't be wise, perhaps, to wait another nine years, when the interests would have gained a much more friendlier level than today, perhaps, before taking any legal or illegal actions to remind your client in a, perhaps, friendly or unfriendly way... finally!... to pay?

[
... See more
...may ask you, friendly, what sum does he owe you, perhaps, since 2013? I just wonder, how much it would be today, with all the zero to negative interests to apply because of several economical reasons, and whether it wouldn't be wise, perhaps, to wait another nine years, when the interests would have gained a much more friendlier level than today, perhaps, before taking any legal or illegal actions to remind your client in a, perhaps, friendly or unfriendly way... finally!... to pay?

[Bearbeitet am 2022-09-24 18:42 GMT]
Collapse

Katarzyna Slowikova

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:41
German to English
Forget it Sep 24, 2022

In many jurisdictions, an unpaid debt that old is considered forgiven, especially if no attempt was made to collect it.

A lesson learned: pay close attention to your unpaid receivables.

expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel
Jennifer Levey
Stepan Konev
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 18:41
Japanese to English
How big is the amount? Sep 25, 2022

PRAKASH SHARMA wrote:

I know I shall wait for his response, but what shall be my next response in case of non-payment? Also, I wish to continue with friendly relations as well because you never know, where and when you may require or get a professional friends help in our industry. Friendships are also very important. Looking for a response from other experienced translators or agency friends, here! Thank you all!

I'm inclined to say "just write it off," for a couple of reasons
1. You didn't miss the amount all these years, so it can't have been that much.
2. You want to stay friends with this person, and money issues can sour friendships quickly.
3. I doubt you'd have a case if this went to court. 9 years is a long time to ignore a non-payment.

However, how much are we talking here? If it's a very large sum of money (unlikely) or you are in severe difficulties, you might ask the client to meet you halfway and pay you a percentage of the invoice so you can both put this matter behind you. This is only recommended if the sum is large or you really need the money, though.

Barbara Carrara
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:41
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Forget it! Sep 25, 2022

Besides what other colleagues have already said I’d add that claiming a payment X years later can be seen as a sign of disorganization on your part and this isn't surely the image you want to portray to a client…

Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
expressisverbis
philgoddard
Kay Denney
Emanuele Vacca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A pending payment issue for around 8-9 years, remained unattended. What should I do?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »