2023: Bad or good for translation industries?
Thread poster: Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah
Mohd Hamzah  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 17:32
English to Malay
+ ...
Oct 5, 2022

Hi

I read in the media that 2023 will be very slow economically. How can be foreseen next year for this industry? Appreciate a lot your opinion. Thank you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Fortunately Oct 5, 2022

Mohd Hamzah wrote:
I read in the media that 2023 will be very slow economically.

Fortunately, we work in a global market, so the economic woes of one part of the world are often offset by economic bloom in another. Just make sure you don't have clients only in that one part of the world where it is forecasted to be a bad year.

expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Dalia Nour
Laurent Mercky
Philip Lees
Nassima EL MEDJIRA
Robert Rietvelt

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
*shrugs* Oct 5, 2022

My crystal balls said it's gonna be the same old same old.

Michael Newton

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:32
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Who knows? Oct 5, 2022

I have been translating for over 40 years and, unless when I’m dealing with a huge project carried over from one year to the next, I am always unable to predict what the future will bring. Even when there is a crisis not all fields are affected the same way (thank goodness), suffice to see what happened with the global pandemic Covid-19, work decreased dramatically in certain sectors but increased noticeably in others: medicine, e-learning, e-commerce…

[Edited at 2022-10-05 18:31 GMT]

expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Michael Newton
Nassima EL MEDJIRA
Vanda Nissen
Daniel Fernandes
Renée van Bijsterveld

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
German to English
The best of years, the worst of years Oct 5, 2022

That is, no improvement

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fearmongering? Oct 5, 2022

Media always like to scare the public with everything.
News changes the way we think and behave, but we need to change that.
Our profession is undoubtedly a unique adventure! It can be stable yet unpredictable, allows us to work alone or not, makes us learning more about the world around us, requires attention to the client’s needs among many other things.
Loyal and varied customers can allow us a long-term relationship and predicting reasonable financial resources.
F
... See more
Media always like to scare the public with everything.
News changes the way we think and behave, but we need to change that.
Our profession is undoubtedly a unique adventure! It can be stable yet unpredictable, allows us to work alone or not, makes us learning more about the world around us, requires attention to the client’s needs among many other things.
Loyal and varied customers can allow us a long-term relationship and predicting reasonable financial resources.
Focus on this and don't let your eyeballs be glued to the screen.

[Edited at 2022-10-05 14:43 GMT]
Collapse

Metin Demirel
Nassima EL MEDJIRA

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wow Oct 5, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

You're transparently endowed. I hope they're not breakable.

Jorge Payan
Robert Forstag
Andy Watkinson
Barbara Carrara

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Relax Oct 5, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I hope they're not breakable.

They are insured. So, no biggie.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not optimistic Oct 6, 2022

Mohd Hamzah wrote:
I read in the media that 2023 will be very slow economically. How can be foreseen next year for this industry?

As others have pointed out, though not in so many words, forecasting any complex system is tremendously difficult and very few economic forecasters can point to a consistently good track record.

Having said that, the consensus is that we're headed for a global recession - indeed, most data suggest it has already begun. The key issue from this point is how deep it goes and how long it lasts. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as 2008-2010 (which I experienced while working in the stock market; the first few months of that were genuinely frightening), but things are not looking good.

I take Samuel's point about certain areas of the economy always remaining strong while others weaken, but in a proper recession there is very little that isn't affected. Bankruptcy lawyers, possibly.

In terms of tactics, although I was hoping to deliberately reduce my workload in the second half of 2022, that's no longer looking like a good idea and I'm taking on as much work as I can reasonably handle. In a few months I may be glad that I did so.

Regards,
Dan

Nassima EL MEDJIRA
Michele Fauble

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
2023: good or bad? Oct 6, 2022

I see consolidation in the industry with large agencies hoovering up smaller agencies. Clients will most likely demand lower fees thereby impacting translators who are already working for slave ages. Agencies in India and China will most likely not be severely affected as their client fees are low and the rates they pay translators are rubbish. I may start demanding 50 % of payment in advance should things get dodgy. I did this recently with a company in Argentina and they complied. 45/day and 6... See more
I see consolidation in the industry with large agencies hoovering up smaller agencies. Clients will most likely demand lower fees thereby impacting translators who are already working for slave ages. Agencies in India and China will most likely not be severely affected as their client fees are low and the rates they pay translators are rubbish. I may start demanding 50 % of payment in advance should things get dodgy. I did this recently with a company in Argentina and they complied. 45/day and 60/day payment agencies should be avoided as a lot can happen in that time-frame.Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Daryo
Fabrice Ndie
dkfmmuc
Amani Harrison

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
In my case Oct 6, 2022

Mr. Satan wrote:

I have never seen a vas deferens from one year to the next.

Mr. Satan (X)
Michael Newton
Tom in London

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Who knows? Oct 6, 2022

The financial crisis in 2008 didn't affect me and the COVID crisis actually made me streamlining the way I work with the consequence I never earned more money than the past 2 and a half years (and currently heading again for a new record).

Of course every crisis is different and the crisis ahead seems to be even more disruptive than 2008 or COVID. I mean, we have inflation, a food crisis, a war crisis, an energy crisis and an ongoing environmental crisis ... That's a lot to no te be
... See more
The financial crisis in 2008 didn't affect me and the COVID crisis actually made me streamlining the way I work with the consequence I never earned more money than the past 2 and a half years (and currently heading again for a new record).

Of course every crisis is different and the crisis ahead seems to be even more disruptive than 2008 or COVID. I mean, we have inflation, a food crisis, a war crisis, an energy crisis and an ongoing environmental crisis ... That's a lot to no te be afraid of personal economical consequences.

But who knows?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2023: Bad or good for translation industries?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »