Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I rejected this job Oct 24, 2022

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Ana Cuesta wrote:

I would argue that it takes the same amount of time to come out with 10 slogans or 2… why? Because the expectation is that out of those you propose, at least one will be usable. So I bet Daniel brainstormed at least a dozen before deciding 2 of them were good enough to pursue. He then trashed the other 10 and submitted only 2 to his client, as requested. But he could as easily have provided a list with 10-12, specially if no rationale was asked.

His brief was obviously different than mine. I worked with a direct client, he worked with an agency. Huge difference, and not just in price but also the entire process.

I would never accept a project under conditions he is describing in the OP. Backtranslation is a literal word for word translation, how will that provide an image of a phrase to a client?

OP, were you provided with visuals and flair requirements?

[Edited at 2022-10-22 11:05 GMT]

I think many agencies try to pass off transcreation tasks as creative translation. I did not have to provide back translation when I was given a brief and I stated my price-50 EUR an hour or fixed rate for the whole job after having examined what it entails.

As I've been through all the headache this kind of demands can lead to (transcreation of 2 slogans, explain why/how, backtranslation and eventually email exchanges for more details), I rejected this job.

One of my past experiences in transcreation, I had to transcreate from English to Portuguese and "backtranslate" to French... That moment I really felt underpaid.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is an acceptable price for transcreation jobs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »