Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
References for rates on the market - another attempt to lower rates by an agency
Thread poster: Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:55
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Self-sabotage Jul 22, 2022

Christina B. wrote:

Many translators are rather introvert, nice and helpful people. The "missing ingredient" you mentioned might have to do something with unconscious self sabotage.

I know what you mean, Christina. After a rather repressive education from my very negatively minded parents, it took me years to gain serenity and self-confidence. I went through many psychological processes that helped me tremendously progressing on my behaviour and self-image. Yet, I suppose there is still a lot to be done, e.g. regarding self-confidence in handling with potential customers, and I continue searching for keys to further free my mind from that education – thank you for the reading tip.

Adieu
Tom in London

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
lower rates Jul 22, 2022

If people are not successful in their favored line of work, perhaps it's time to look for something else. Knitting perhaps.

Dan Lucas
Vladimir Pochinov

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Let the bad agencies and translators sink © Thomas T. Frost Jul 24, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The winners will be competent agencies and translators. Let the bad ones sink...

+1

“Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.” © Vince Lombardi

But one needs first to prepare to win, whether in sports or in business.

“The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.” © Bobby Knight

Thomas T. Frost
Dan Lucas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jul 24, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:
look for something else. Knitting perhaps.

I would like to order 1 pc of winter pullover with detachable necks, V and round. Thank you.
I want people to think I have 2 different pullovers, with the prestige and success they bring.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Encountered a form of that Jul 26, 2022

A certain someone told me they're re-evaluating the wordcount-based definition of "an hour" (20% in their favor). Citing market standards or some such thing.

Cute.

Well, they started it. I was intending to bump up my rates due to inflation anyway, now I have cause to renegotiate.

gauloise
gauloise
United States
Member (2020)
Italian to English
+ ...
Quality in a post-modern world Oct 7, 2022

Denis Fesik wrote:

I found this girl on what I then first learned the name of: Breadtube. The main point of the first video I watched, however, was that all sorts of prescriptions like the ones you get from Grammarly were actually deleterious: writers should be free to choose ways to express themselves. I commented saying that, as a teacher, she was supposed to have an idea of what good writing is and how it's different from bad writing – otherwise, why even bother teaching anyone? She didn't reply (no surprise here). In her other videos, things started to get more puzzling for a person like me. According to her, we have no business judging about the quality of someone's writing, everything is supposed to be normalized and equalized, even complete illiteracy (of the kind caused by laziness rather than dyslexia). Compassion and inclusion are what really matters. I've been noticing a similar trend in the translation market. Who cares if someone's translation makes someone else cringe at how badly it's written? It's still understandable, isn't it? Well, even if it's not, who cares. Do you want to make less-than-perfect translators jobless? How about we stick a label on you, you elitist sonofab*** with your Darwinian ideas? Don't harbor no illusions, baby. MT will eat you for breakfast tomorrow

Breadtube is communist YouTube. The liberal arts have shifted to a post-modernist view of education, where everything is subjective and things like grammar are used by the elites as tools of oppression. I have noted this too in translation, if you push for quality, you are evil. All of arts/media is infested w/ this thinking.

Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

References for rates on the market - another attempt to lower rates by an agency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »