Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
Translation business in Russia: Cutthroat competition among agencies, peanuts offered to translators
Thread poster: Vladimir Pochinov
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
It's an oddity of the Russian language Jul 11, 2022

Soviets called their equivalent of HOA fees квартплата (apartment fee). It sometimes includes some or all of the utilities.

People got so used to it that it just gets stuck in their minds.

If you ask a Russian "what do you pay for your apartment", their mind goes to that fee, not "my rent is ---" / "my mortgage is ---"
/ "nothing, it's all paid off in full".

In Moscow, just the fees on a 2-bedroom are ~$200/month. Before rent or mortgage payments.

Sadek_A wrote:

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
I do decline jobs from regular clients from time to time

Job declined over topic alone = good cash declined. I suppose nobody likes that, I know I don't.
I accept all sorts of content, the more challenging the better (both money & abilities-building -wise).
Never declined over topic alone.

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
And I don't see any problem with declining a job for various reasons: 1) I am busy working on another project; or 2) I feel the subject field is outside my areas of expertise; or 3) I am unfamiliar with the required software (e.g., AutoCAD); or 4) I have a medical appointment; or 5) I just want to take a day off to recuperate; or otherwise.

They would give you the benefit of the doubt once or twice or even thrice, then it's "we need to find a sustainable replacement".

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
If I am uncomfortable with a subject field, I just advise the client accordingly. ALL of them appreciate this. If possible, I refer them to a trusted colleague with the requisite expertise and/or skills and/or software.

And they will logically see that colleague as a "more helpful" player, especially when that colleague starts accepting the exact same projects you are comfortable with in addition to those with which you aren't.

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
Some regular clients book my time one to three weeks ahead to make sure their translation project will be taken care of as required.

Those are the good ones.

Roman Karabaev wrote:
~USD50 is a sum you pay as an owner of the property. No rent included.

Exact words of Vladimir:

My one-bedroom apartment (for myself and my wife) in Zelenogradsk, Kaliningrad Region: about $50 per month (incl. water, electricity, gas, garbage collection).

If that's not rent, then what is it? Vladimir?!

Adieu wrote:
Actual rent-rent would be ~300 - 1000+

Sure, Sadek is coming, let's increase rent by over six folds.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jul 12, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
My bad ... about the amount payable for my apartment ... Sorry for the confusion
Sorry again. I own my apartment. $50 is the average monthly utility bill (water, electricity, gas, garbage collection).

What are you doing, Vladimir? I already applied for the visa. And, specifically requested Zelenogradsk, Kaliningrad.
They kept trying to recommend more expensive locations, and my tongue just uttering two words "Zelenogradsk, Kaliningrad". What do I say to them now?!

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
You won't let me stop this discussion, Sadek -

I gave you a nice break yesterday.

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
Strangely enough, some of my existing clients date back to the mid-2000s, even though I decline jobs from time to time.

That's good, then.

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:
I've had all the time since 1999 to build up a loyal client base, while dropping the bad apples in due course.

You did the right thing.

Adieu wrote:
If you ask a Russian "what do you pay for your apartment", their mind goes to that fee, not "my rent is ---" / "my mortgage is ---"
/ "nothing, it's all paid off in full".

I see.

[Edited at 2022-07-12 14:14 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation business in Russia: Cutthroat competition among agencies, peanuts offered to translators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »