Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >
這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
网上评论说是以人头平民愤 May 30, 2007

现在网上有评论说,这是以人头平民愤。关键是共产党的制度,现在被处理的贪官,绝大多数都是在政治斗争中落败的倒霉蛋,如果那一天连胡锦涛和温家宝的心腹如果贪腐也能受到严肃处理,国家就有忘了。

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Justice must be served!
wherestip wrote:

On the right track, IMO

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/29/news/international/china_death_sentence.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

China sentences ex-official to death
Zheng Xiaoyu, the former head of State Food and Drug Administration, was convicted of accepting bribes from drug companies.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
公安局怎么不发明一条新标语: May 30, 2007

公安局怎么不发明一条新标语:“贪污不如去炒股”。:D
不过,不少贪官确实是因为挪用公款去炒股而走上贪污之路的。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 18:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
不死的丈夫 May 30, 2007

台灣輔仁大學西班牙文系畢業公演將演出 Enrique Jardiel Poncela 的劇作 Un marido de ida y vuelta,中文翻譯名稱為「不死的丈夫」。故事說的是一位老婆巴不得老公死去,老公死去前要他的朋友不要娶他的老婆,但是那位朋友背叛了誓言,娶了他的老婆,這下就發生怪事了。

死鬼不死,或死去又活來,那一定蠻有趣的。這個公演非去看不可,我想看看年輕的世代如何詮釋那樣的喜劇。

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
抢劫不如买股票 May 30, 2007

今天加征印花税,股市大跌,我在网上看到这样的打油诗:

加息咱们没吓倒
小小印花算个鸟
互相问安笑一笑
后市看高8000到
千载难逢股市好
抢劫不如买股票

版主如果觉得此诗不雅,请删去。:-D

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
炒股顺口溜 May 30, 2007

听广播买股票,
一天之后被深套;
看电视买股票,
两天之后无路逃;
看报纸买股票,
三天之后没头脑;
听股评买股票,
四天之后要上吊。
信「自己」买股票,
从此天天满腰包。

Zhoudan wrote:

今天加征印花税,股市大跌,我在网上看到这样的打油诗:

加息咱们没吓倒
小小印花算个鸟
互相问安笑一笑
后市看高8000到
千载难逢股市好
抢劫不如买股票

版主如果觉得此诗不雅,请删去。:-D

Yueyin Sun wrote:

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Beijing trying to tamp down rampant speculation in the equity markets May 30, 2007

IMO, times like this, it's important to look at the big picture...

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/shanghai-stocks-tumble-again-latest/story.aspx?guid={19EB3D2B-4CEB-43FF-9C6A-E344F0853E4C}

But with the Shanghai index rising more than 60% this year as of Tuesday, the government has mounted a series of moves in recent months to cool off the nation's stock market mania.

On three separate occasions, the central bank has increased the ratio of cash banks must hold in reserve against deposits in an effort to drain excess liquidity from the financial system. It also boosted deposit rates to encourage investors to save rather than funneling their funds straight into stocks.

New rules were also introduced to curb investment in the stock market with borrowed funds.

When the Shanghai composite touched its all-time high of 4,334.27 on Tuesday, it marked a 62% increase in this year alone. It has more than quadrupled since the beginning of the market's dramatic rise in mid-2005.

Wednesday's plunge, at one point down more than 7%, was reminiscent of a 9% sell-off on Feb. 27 that came after a top Beijing economic official made comments that pointedly warned of authorities' concerns about Chinese investors' feverish market speculation. The decline helped trigger an equity sell-off that ripped around the world, erasing $3.2 trillion in stock market value.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 23:57]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nicolas Sarkozy 的就職演說 May 30, 2007

http://www.elysee.fr/elysee/elysee.fr/anglais/speeches_and_documents/2007/speech_by_m_nicolas_sarkozy_president_of_the_republic_at_the_investiture_ceremony.76683.html

這是已經翻譯成英文的就職演說,翻譯得真好。德文的也不賴,我很喜
... See more
http://www.elysee.fr/elysee/elysee.fr/anglais/speeches_and_documents/2007/speech_by_m_nicolas_sarkozy_president_of_the_republic_at_the_investiture_ceremony.76683.html

這是已經翻譯成英文的就職演說,翻譯得真好。德文的也不賴,我很喜歡讀這種文字。哪天華人的領導者被全體人民投票選出來後,就職時能如此表達對人民的忠心和期待,那還怕有人破壞團結嗎?

最後的部分很不錯:

The people have entrusted me with a mandate. I shall fulfil it. I shall fulfil it scrupulously, with the determination to be worthy of the trust the French have placed in me.

I shall defend France's independence and identity.

I shall ensure respect for the State's authority and its impartiality.

I shall strive to build a Republic founded on genuine rights and an irreproachable democracy.

I shall fight for a Europe which protects, for the unity of the Mediterranean and for the development of Africa.

I shall make the defence of human rights and battle against climate warming the priorities of France's diplomatic action in the world.

The task will be difficult and will have to be long-term.

Every one of you in your official position in the State and all citizens in their positions in society are destined to contribute to it.

I want to express my conviction that in the service of France there are no sides. There is only the goodwill of those who love their country. There are only the skills, ideas and convictions of those fired by their passion for serving the general interest.

To all those who want to serve their country, I say that I am ready to work with you and that I shall not ask them to renounce their beliefs, betray their friendships or forget their history. It is for them to decide, in all conscience as free men and women, how they want to serve France.

On 6 May there was only one victory, that of the France who doesn't want to die, who wants order but also movement, who wants progress, but wants fraternity, who wants efficiency, but wants justice, who wants identity, but wants an opening-up.

On 6 May there was only one victor, the French people who don't want to give up, who don't want to be confined to inertia and conservatism, who no longer want others to decide for them, think for them.

Well, to this France who wants to go on living, to this people who don't want to give up, who deserve our love and our respect, I want to express my determination not to disappoint them.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 15:23]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well May 30, 2007

Wenjer,

IMHO there's always room for improvement, including the translation of this speech into English.

For example, just for typos, right away I see "fulfill" that was spelled wrong. Not to mention some awkward sentences that could have used some polishing.

Anyway, that's just my honest opinion. I'm not nitpicking at all.

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
nit-picking May 30, 2007

Just read the begining and this distracted me:

... I'm thinking of France, this venerable country which has gone through so many ordeals and always picked itself up, which has always spoken for all mankind and which I now have the weighty task of representing in the eyes of the world.

Shouldn't it be "has" there?
sorry for having such an annoying grammar police on guard.
-----------
Sorry. I somehow read the "I now have" as "I know have". So there is no problem at all there. All my misreading.

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

這是已經翻譯成英文的就職演說,翻譯得真好。德文的也不賴,我很喜歡讀這種文字。哪天華人的領導者被全體人民投票選出來後,就職時能如此表達對人民的忠心和期待,那還怕有人破壞團結嗎?

[Edited at 2007-05-30 17:23]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
oops May 30, 2007

I now see that "fulfil" is an alternate spelling. Sorry about pointing out as an error something that was actually correct.

BTW, the thing that really caught my attention was the 10 or 11 imperatives in his speech. The French and the Chinese must really think alike in that respect.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 19:06]

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
No you are not nitpicking May 30, 2007

I thought I was nitpicking (didn't see your post at that time), but after reading more of it, I am so convinced this translation needs at least one more round of proofreading.

wherestip wrote:

Wenjer,

IMHO there's always room for improvement, including the translation of this speech into English.

Anyway, that's just my honest opinion. I'm not nitpicking at all.

[Edited at 2007-05-30 15:45]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The message is more important than the words. May 30, 2007

Is it comprising of several parts or is it comprsing the following? It doesn't matter for me at all, for we choose a lot of wrong characters or wrong pronunceations in Chinese as well, but most Chinese understands what we are writing or talking about.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
a good translation May 30, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

I thought I was nitpicking (didn't see your post at that time), but after reading more of it, I am so convinced this translation needs at least one more round of proofreading.

I agree, Shaunna.

For important speeches like this, you definitely need to have adequate proofreading and editing to ensure it is ready for prime time.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 11:10]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
quality of translation May 30, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Is it comprising of several parts or is it comprsing the following? It doesn't matter for me at all, for we choose a lot of wrong characters or wrong pronunceations in Chinese as well, but most Chinese understands what we are writing or talking about.

Wenjer,

That I agree with -- The message is the important thing.

Still, you would think the nation's prestige is at stake here for speeches like this. As the head of a new administration, you want to hit the ground running; you want to project a good image to the world, especially competence-wise. If I were the new president, I would have even re-budgeted some of my own vacation funds to hire a more competent translation team.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 12:35]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Leave it to CHANCE May 30, 2007

Don't worry, she will definitely take care of it.

wherestip wrote:

That I agree with -- The message is the important thing.

Still, you would think the nation's prestige is at stake here for speeches like this. Wouldn't anybody want a near-perfect translation?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »