Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >
這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel (X)
wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:15
Chinese to English
+ ...
Uniqueness of Chinese Jun 15, 2007

Wenjer,

I say you're the expert on this since you've actually done some research work on it. I'm just talking off the top of my head when it comes to development of translation tools.

I think it's more conceivable to automate the translation of one Indo-European language into another. After all, they all kind of have a common ancestry. I remember us talking about this a while back. At the time I found
... See more
Wenjer,

I say you're the expert on this since you've actually done some research work on it. I'm just talking off the top of my head when it comes to development of translation tools.

I think it's more conceivable to automate the translation of one Indo-European language into another. After all, they all kind of have a common ancestry. I remember us talking about this a while back. At the time I found a link that gave a clear hierarchical representation of the Indo-European language family tree. Too bad that link no longer works.

http://www.proz.com/post/519166#519166

Here's another link about the interrelationship of Indo-European languages; it's not a hierarchical chart though.

http://www.krysstal.com/langfams_indoeuro.html

The Chinese language must be in a tree all by itself -- Of course there are a few "derivative" languages like Japanese and Korean which inherited or borrowed some of the Chinese characters.
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 13:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sino-Tibetan Language Family Jun 15, 2007

wherestip wrote:

The Chinese language must be in a tree all by itself -- Of course there are a few "derivative" languages like Japanese and Korean which inherited or borrowed some of the Chinese characters.

Steve,

Chinese belongs to Sino-Tibetan Language Family. The languages belonging to this family have the outstanding characteristic of significant tonal differentials. Burmese, Thai, Laotian and Vietnamese belong to this family, too.

As to Japanese and Korean, they do borrow some characters from Chinese, but those characters stand for meanings which do not always match the original Chinese ones, not to say of their pronunciation and their appearance in the syntaxes of those two languages. Japanese and Korean belong to Altaic Language Family, as you can find out in the website you quoted. To this language family also belong Turkish and Uighur which has the same root as Turkish. The languages belonging to this family have the characteristic of using postpositions instead of prepositions.

The categorization of language families is usually not based on the common vocabulary. In contrary, it is based on the similarity of syntactical and semantical structures. It is a tendancy in all languages to assimilate vocabulary taken from dominant languages, such as from Greek before the Roman Empire, from Latin during the Roman Empire, from English since the expansion of British colonial power and from American since the end of the WWII. The Americanization of some languages on this earth is remarkable, but they still belong to different language families for their syntactical and semantical structures show obviously that they are from different origins.

It is very interesting to learn that there are among Indo-European, Altaic, Uralic and Caucasian languages 20% to 40% of vocabulary matches, despite of obvious syntactical and semantical differences.

So far, a little bit philology. I am not very much an expert. It happens that one of my majors was General Linguistics and Philology is a must to step into a systematic study of human speech in general. That's why I've learned some characteristics of different language families, superficially though.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sino-Tibetan Language Family Jun 15, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Chinese belongs to Sino-Tibetan Language Family. The languages belonging to this family have the outstanding characteristic of significant tonal differentials. Burmese, Thai, Laotian and Vietnamese belong to this family, too.

Obviously I haven't bothered to explore that website much before posting the link. I'll have to go back and learn a bit more about the different language families when I have time.

I also see that Japanese and Korean are off on their own in the Japonic branch and Korean branch respectively, under the Altaic family like you said. Unlike what I thought, they have very little to do with Chinese.

[Edited at 2007-06-16 13:31]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Charts Jun 15, 2007

Suddenly these links are working again. The server must have been down a while ago.

I like these at-a-glance charts ... See more
Suddenly these links are working again. The server must have been down a while ago.

I like these at-a-glance charts

http://www.danshort.com/ie/timeline.htm

http://www.danshort.com/ie/iecentum_c.shtml

http://www.danshort.com/ie/iesatem_c.shtml
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yep Jun 15, 2007

wherestip wrote:

I like these at-a-glance charts

http://www.danshort.com/ie/timeline.htm

http://www.danshort.com/ie/iecentum_c.shtml

http://www.danshort.com/ie/iesatem_c.shtml

The last two charts are most interesting. They depict the relations among Indo-European languages.

You can see how close Modern Low German and English are. Actually, people in the Northwest of Germany speak Low German and it sounds pretty much English. In the outskirts of Hamburg, they speak the so-called Plattdeutsch which is a branch of Low German. It has quite a lot of common syntactical and semantical structures as well as basic vocabulary with English. I was astonished when I learned that 20 years ago.

Sometimes I would say that Europeans have common root just like the Chinese peoples. The history has brought them together or apart. Now that there is a European Union, we might just say "Europe" like "China." That is why I am interested in learning the history of Europe. There might be some valuable hints in the European history for a reasonable solution among the Chinese peoples.

[Edited at 2007-06-16 15:24]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Common Law Jun 17, 2007

最近翻译一篇短文,遇上拉丁文语句 "Volenti non fit injuria.",虽然后头附上英、德、法三种文字翻译,还是不敢贸然确定译法:

Volenti non fit injuria.
That to which a person consents cannot be considered injury.
A qui consent on ne fai pas de tort.
Dem, der es so haben will, geschieht kein Unrecht.

因此查了一�
... See more
最近翻译一篇短文,遇上拉丁文语句 "Volenti non fit injuria.",虽然后头附上英、德、法三种文字翻译,还是不敢贸然确定译法:

Volenti non fit injuria.
That to which a person consents cannot be considered injury.
A qui consent on ne fai pas de tort.
Dem, der es so haben will, geschieht kein Unrecht.

因此查了一下网络上找得到的解说:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volenti_non_fit_injuria

Volenti non fit injuria (Latin: "to a willing person, no injury is done") is a common law doctrine which means that someone who knowingly and willingly puts themselves in a dangerous situation will be unable to sue for his or her resulting injuries. It is sometimes described as the plaintiff "consenting to run a risk" but should be distinguished from consent which can prevent some torts arising in the first place (for example, consent to a medical procedure preventing the procedure being a trespass to the person, or consenting to a person visiting your land preventing them being a trespasser).

这个解说应该很清楚,但突然想到我曾经为一篇台湾作家成寒写的关于电影《Legally Blonde》的文章写过一篇评论,其中提到芬兰总统哈洛宁并未结婚,但依据惯例法 (common law) 她的男友被视为婚姻伙伴,因此上任时也同时迁入总统官邸,可是我这样的解说却被一位在英国的台湾留学生吐槽。他说,Common Law 指的是一般法律,比方说 British common law 指的是英国的民法。

Common law 到底是怎样的东西?我想,攻读法律的同仁应该清楚,欧陆的法律系统和英美的法律系统有些不太一样的地方就是法官在判决时的 common law 缘引方式。Wikipedia 里的解说算是相当详尽的:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law

依我对法律的见解,我认为法律的最根底是人情,也就是无论是以惯例为依据或以明文规定的法条为依据,判决的结果都不可违背人情。最概约的说法就是,法律条文的形成是从风俗习惯而来的,法理不可违背人情。因此, 我仍然坚持把 common law 翻译成“惯例法”。

回到 "Volenti non fit injuria."。这句话的法理依据其实就是人情。一个人明知开刀、动手术会有风险,但他同意医师开刀,那么他当然不能为因此发生的身体伤害提出告诉。又比方说,投资人同意证券经纪人购入或拋售代为管理的票 券,投资人当然不能以事后的盈亏为由控告经纪人。

不过,"Volenti non fit injuria." 不会惹出争议吗?当然会!底下链接的这篇台湾作家吴若权写的文章说的就是那种争议:

http://1-apple.com.tw/apple/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Article&Sec_ID=20&ShowDate=20070611&NewsType=twapple_sub&Loc=TP&Art_ID=3549665

[Edited at 2007-06-17 11:25]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The mission is not an easy one. Jun 19, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Wenjer,

Things like this sooner or later get busted. Like drug-dealing, this activity is illegal. Did you notice how quickly the madam caught on and said the girls were not available? ... Of course I could only understand what little was audible in English.

Steve,

Prof. David Batstone has taken on a difficult job. He doesn't exactly know the complications of that kind of business. I am afraid he will get hurt someday by those guys. Not even the police in San Francisco could do the job right. That is why ask the question above. You can imagine how complicate the business is. There must be some legal enforcement forces involved. Or else there won't be so easy for those guys.

Anyway, people in poor countries believe that the USA is a golden country. But it is not the case. Most of the girls come illegally into the States live a miserable life. There isn't yet a way to cut it off. The only way is to let young people know of that kind of modern slavery and mopping.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
這位女士的故事 Jun 19, 2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebiya_Kadeer

德國國家電視台最近報導了她的故事,相當複雜。她新近在德國出版了一本她寫的書,受到德國綠黨邀請,細說她的觀察。相當勇敢的一位女士。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:15
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
怎么样是最好的、最善的、最美的 Jun 24, 2007

桂源铺
南宋·杨万里

万山不许一溪奔,拦得溪声日夜喧,
到得前头山脚尽,堂堂溪水出前村。

这是南宋杨万里的“桂源铺”。

杨万里是南宋时一位人品极高的儒者,他的一生奉行“正心诚意”之理,把自己的书房取名为“诚斋”并且用它做为自己的别号。他的诗作有一种幽默诙谐的趣味,有时还以俚语白话入诗,形成一种通俗明畅的特�
... See more
桂源铺
南宋·杨万里

万山不许一溪奔,拦得溪声日夜喧,
到得前头山脚尽,堂堂溪水出前村。

这是南宋杨万里的“桂源铺”。

杨万里是南宋时一位人品极高的儒者,他的一生奉行“正心诚意”之理,把自己的书房取名为“诚斋”并且用它做为自己的别号。他的诗作有一种幽默诙谐的趣味,有时还以俚语白话入诗,形成一种通俗明畅的特色。

“万山不许一溪奔,拦得溪声日夜喧”,写的是一条小溪在群山万岭间奔流,好像被万山阻挡了去路,以致于溪水日夜在山间中喧闹不停。

“到得前头山脚尽,堂堂溪水出前村。”然而溪水的向下奔流,是大自然不变的法则,是无法抵御的趋势。当溪水终于流到前面山脚尽头时,随着平野逐渐的开阔,喧哗的溪声全都变成了堂堂盛大的流水,坦坦荡荡的流出前村去了。
诗中以“万”对“一”,以“山”对“溪”,多寡强弱的对比,几乎不能相提并论。而万山似乎阻挡了这小小溪流的去向,然而当时机成熟时,它还是回归到它该去的地方啊!

宇宙的法理总是遵循着一定的规律,在生生不息的在运行着。怎么样是最好的、最善的、最美的,它就是那样的呈现,这是大自然的智慧,也是宇宙的圆容。www.zhengjian.org/zj/articles/2004/7/25/28080.html

[Edited at 2007-06-24 04:23]

[Edited at 2007-06-24 04:25]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »