Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >
這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oops... May 30, 2007

Sorry I just realized I somehow misread "I now have" as "I know have" there. The "have" is all right there. It was all my misreading.

Shaunna wrote:

Just read the begining and this distracted me:

... I'm thinking of France, this venerable country which has gone through so many ordeals and always picked itself up, which has always spoken for all mankind and which I now have the weighty task of representing in the eyes of the world.

Shouldn't it be "has" there?
sorry for having such an annoying grammar police on guard.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:29
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
实话说 May 31, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Wenjer,

That I agree with -- The message is the important thing.

Still, you would think the nation's prestige is at stake here for speeches like this. As the head of a new administration, you want to hit the ground running. You want to project a good image to the world, especially competence-wise. If I were the new president, I would have even re-budgeted some of my own vacation funds to hire a more competent translation team.

Steve,

我对那些所谓的无懈可击的翻译总是持着怀疑的态度。无论一个翻译团队组织多严谨,完全不出错,那大概是在发表后不知道修改多少次之后的事情。甚至当今通用的圣经合和版都还有错误,那可是千百年的锤炼,而且是集多少人的知识学问做出来的翻译。

有一点小瑕疵,一点都不丢脸。最丢脸的是一点都不会错的天下第一翻译者。这是我的意见。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
Quality May 31, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Steve,

我对那些所谓的无懈可击的翻译总是持着怀疑的态度。无论一个翻译团队组织多严谨,完全不出错,那大概是在发表后不知道修改多少次之后的事情。甚至当今通用的圣经合和版都还有错误,那可是千百年的锤炼,而且是集多少人的知识学问做出来的翻译。

Wenjer,

I know full well the kind of person you're talking about -- to criticize or nitpick with a chip on his or her shoulder with no true justification.

I think it is a bit different in this case where the translation of an important state document had not been sufficiently scrubbed and was met with some criticism. IMHO, the constant talk about quality and competency needs to be backed up in practice.

To tell you the truth, that translation wouldn't even have passed my inspection. And I'm a pretty lenient person.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 14:42]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Anyway May 31, 2007

I don't mean to start an argument about nothing. We probably just have a different view on what constitutes a quality translation. And by no means am I one of those people who thinks only native speakers can translate into targeted texts.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 16:05]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No problem at all. May 31, 2007

wherestip wrote:

I don't mean to start an argument about nothing. We probably just have a different view on what constitutes a quality translation. And by no means am I one of those people who think only native speakers can translate into targeted texts.

It is no problem for me at all to accept any reasonable revisions. I guess, the Presidential Office of the Republic of France would appreciate it very much if someone gives them positive suggestions to improve the translations of their official documents. They might have started working on it, I guess. Some more efforts to perfection still needed, as we see, though I am satisfied to read such translated texts there.

[Edited at 2007-05-31 13:36]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
这下又不知有多少股民会走上绝路! May 31, 2007

Zhoudan wrote:

今天加征印花税,股市大跌

一个悲情股民的灭门之灾!

http://www.njnews.cn/x/ca904543.htm

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我們家的股票提前3天全出來了 Jun 1, 2007

原因是﹐ 我老婆看上一套房子﹐ 找我要錢﹐ 我的暫時無法取出就沒給她。我說那你把股票都出來吧﹐結果幾十萬全出來了。

三天以後發生的五卅。

只能說這叫幸運。

Julia Zou
Julia Zou  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
只有多校对才能少犯错误 Jun 1, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

一点错误都不犯,那真就是mission impossible了。为了避免少犯错误,我一般是自己译完一句赶紧就校对一句。全部译完之后叫我老公校对一次,然后我自己再通读一次。就是这样,还是不能避免错误的发生,水平有限当然也是其中的一个原因。如果时间允许,把译好的稿子放两三天后再读,一般都还能发现错误。
前一段时间做了一个网站翻译。有一些句子完全没有上下文,可有N(N>2)种理解, 的确不好翻译。写信问PM,他也不知道。于是只好凭自己的理解硬着头皮翻译了。这两天,网站的英文版本已经出来了。我访问了该网站之后就发现,一些我翻译时觉得没有上下文而无法翻译的词或句子在配了图片之后都能翻译了。比如:check here. 以前是word文档里前不着村后不挨店的一句,我当时翻译成:查看这里。现在这句话后面画了个方框,我就知道我翻译错了。应该是:在此勾选/在此打勾。这样类似的错误有好几个。发现错误之后,我赶紧写了一份更正说明,并将有错误的文件都找出来,将错误改正后用黄色醒目标出。这么做的原因是网站的编辑人员不懂汉语。幸好网站的汉语版本还没出来,错误还能及时地扼杀在摇篮之中,否则这些翻译错误真的会误导网站的访问者的。

Julia Zou
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
我居然有先见之明 Jun 1, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

今天加征印花税,股市大跌

一个悲情股民的灭门之灾!

5月28号晚上,我和北京的一个朋友聊天,说起了炒股的事情。他说他最近炒股赚了将近一百万,我就叫他可以先撤一部分,免得被套牢。他觉得很奇怪,因为我从不炒股,并且对股票知之甚少。我说是感觉,因为牛市牛了太久,该往下跌了,何况中国的股市本来就不太正常。而且也听人说国外投资的热钱可能要往外撤了。他一向是个不太听得进旁人意见的人,但这次居然接受了一个股盲的劝告,于是29号就撤了一半出来。现在谢我都还来不及。不过,说不定过两天股市又回光返照般地全线飘红,到时他大概又会怪自己听信谗言了吧。:-)

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
好办法 Jun 1, 2007

稿子放两天再读是个好办法。我也发现那样效果很好。

那种没有上下文的翻译是挺头疼。
你这样的认真负责,他们找到你是他们运气好。

Juliazou wrote:

一点错误都不犯,那真就是mission impossible了。为了避免少犯错误,我一般是自己译完一句赶紧就校对一句。全部译完之后叫我老公校对一次,然后我自己再通读一次。就是这样,还是不能避免错误的发生,水平有限当然也是其中的一个原因。如果时间允许,把译好的稿子放两三天后再读,一般都还能发现错误。
前一段时间做了一个网站翻译。有一些句子完全没有上下文,可有N(N>2)种理解, 的确不好翻译。写信问PM,他也不知道。...

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
赶紧去谢老婆吧 Jun 1, 2007

要钱要得这么合适。

jyuan_us wrote:

原因是﹐ 我老婆看上一套房子﹐ 找我要錢﹐ 我的暫時無法取出就沒給她。我說那你把股票都出來吧﹐結果幾十萬全出來了。

三天以後發生的五卅。

只能說這叫幸運。

Julia Zou
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
水平不行,唯靠认真 Jun 1, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

稿子放两天再读是个好办法。我也发现那样效果很好。

那种没有上下文的翻译是挺头疼。
你这样的认真负责,他们找到你是他们运气好。

[

在水平有限的情况下,只有靠认真来提高翻译质量了。:-)

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
你谦虚 Jun 1, 2007

我相信就算那些大侠也一样要靠认真来保证质量。

Juliazou wrote:

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
我很赞成你的认真态度 Jun 1, 2007

Juliazou wrote:

Julia:

我很赞成你的认真态度。通常真正水平不高者是不会说自己“水平有限”的,因为缺乏自信。而敢于说自己“水平有限”的人却反而是充满自信和有水平的。你这样认真地干下去,肯定大有希望!

我所看到的滥译文中有很大一部分并不是限于水平而恰恰是由于不认真。甚至可以看出来,有的人译文翻完之后连一遍都没再看过。所以,我现在一般拒绝接受审核的活,除非翻译社告诉我翻译是谁或者先让我看到译稿。去年翻译社要我审核一篇译稿,我一开始不肯接。后来翻译社告诉我翻译将是gladbeach ( http://www.proz.com/profile/89338 ),我才接受。译稿发来之后,我照样认真地进行了核对和修改,而且在Evaluation list上8项评判标准中,我实事求是地评了6项Excellent和2项Good。她也是个很认真的翻译。现在她较少在此露面,一定是忙得不可开交。

[Edited at 2007-06-01 03:53]

Julia Zou
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
你现在也是我眼中的大侠之一 Jun 1, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

我相信就算那些大侠也一样要靠认真来保证质量。

你现在也是我眼中的大侠之一。
我们已经有互相吹捧的嫌疑了,再继续下去,各位看官就要倒牙了。;-)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »