Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >
這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
到底是“垃圾猫盒子”还是“猫垃圾箱”呢? Jun 13, 2007

显然是机译做出来的翻译天书。这下让大家信心大增:干翻译这行肯定有饭吃,随便做也要比这个质量高。

Yueyin Sun wrote:

翻资料翻得昏昏欲睡,上网查资料却偶然查到这一网站,一下子就精神了。现与大家分享,让我也给其他昏昏欲睡的翻译朋友们提提神:

http://www.cat-litter.andallabout.com/Translate/index.php?Lang=zh-CN&Page=/Articles/Choosing_the_Best_Cat_Litter_Box.php

http://www.cat-litter.andallabout.com/Articles/Choosing_the_Best_Cat_Litter_Box.php

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
我怎么也推敲不出来 Jun 13, 2007

如是机器翻译,每个字都应该可以猜到从哪里来的。象我可以猜到那个“亨特”大概是 hunt 来的。可是这个“随机”到底从哪里来的呢?supply = 随机附送?那“演员”又是怎么回事呢?实在是猜不着了。有人猜到吗?

Yueyin Sun wrote:

什么叫“你会发现一些猫垃圾箱,随机附送演员”?附送哪个大牌演员?我可不做“郑人买珠”的蠢事。我会把演员留下,但把猫垃圾箱送回。:D

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
好象是Google的translation Jun 13, 2007

发现叫到我了,就去看一看.
Yueyin Sun wrote:
现与大家分享,让我也给其他昏昏欲睡的翻译朋友们提提神:

以前在中学教英语时也看过相似的东西.不过那是因为学生是用中文思考,然后用英语写出来.那些英语文章用中文来读就会make sense. 这里是相反.

比如说这里的'由于它是用木头,有许多装饰和颜色,你可以选择从.'是'As it is made of wood, there are many finishes and colours that you can possibly pick from.'

头还是晕晕的...

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's full of gems Jun 13, 2007

松树枯猫

二氧化硅垃圾猫

食猫步垃圾

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Extras Jun 13, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

那“演员”又是怎么回事呢?实在是猜不着了。有人猜到吗?

Well, extras are persons who play nonspeaking parts. So, they are some kind of actors in Chinese sense --- 跑龙套的演员.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
extras Jun 13, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Shaunna wrote:

Well, extras are persons who play nonspeaking parts. So, they are some kind of actors in Chinese sense --- 跑龙套的演员.

That's right. In the film industry, an extra refers to a person who gets paid to act as one of the crowd in a scene.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extra

7. Movies, Television. a person hired by the day to play a minor part, as a member of a mob or crowd.

Anyway, I agree with Shaunna that it doesn't look like a complete machine translation. There seems to be some signs of human intervention, as poor as the quality is.

[Edited at 2007-06-13 20:51]

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I see. Thank you. Jun 13, 2007

见多识广,真好。

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Shaunna wrote:

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for the info. Jun 13, 2007

wherestip wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/extra

7. Movies, Television. a person hired by the day to play a minor part, as a member of a mob or crowd.

wherestip wrote:

Anyway, I agree with Shaunna that it doesn't look like a complete machine translation. There seems to be some signs of human intervention, as poor as the quality is.

前一阵大家说的一天能译上万字的,大概就是类似。娱乐性一定也很强。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Machine Translation Jun 14, 2007

Just out of curiosity, I took a section of the main text in English and plugged it into the on-line language translation tool that I had bookmarked. This is what I got:

如果你拥有一只猫,然后你知道,有必要对猫屑箱. 即使你的猫喜欢的是户外, 但仍宜提供屑箱时,它的车厢. 猫盒子通常塑胶制成的,当然,还有许多其他的设计和材料都是现成的缘故. 另外猫屑箱件,如托盘的垃圾箱, 也出售与每个具体的盒子. 这可以有效地掩盖屑箱增设障碍物之间的地板和信箱. 由于它是用木头,有许多装饰和颜色,你可以选择从. 它将给您选择,搭配与家具业已存在里面你的家. 大部分的垃圾箱都是完成一个漂亮的完成等,这是相当完美的一个角落 表. 猫垃圾箱,将能够购买由您当地的宠物商店会在一个范围 设计. 价格,你将需支付,将取决于风格和规模,你选择. 举一个理念定价,预期支付少于20元; 除了少数的优秀作品,可能会超过这个数额,但 不是每个人都想赢钱了歌颂猫棚子. 奥米加爪子自我清洁垃圾信箱(经常; 17个字母" W × 20的" D × 16.5 " H级; 圣人绿/ taupe )它是如此简单, 它的巧妙. 清洁你干脆辊顶在地上,又返回. 内部机制的存款时间轴 废水排入废托盘 你那么滑了空. 你的猫永远都清洁垃圾. 节省你的钱太--没有铲子, 客轮或过滤购买的. 清洁垃圾是从未扔掉. 大潘盖设计让隐私你的猫 并防止混乱.

Wenjer was right. It was completely translated by some software.

I know the end result is still totally unusable. However, although apparently not ready for prime time, the structure noticeable in some of the translated sentences seems to indicate some progress made in machine translation -- I even mistook it for human involvement.

[Edited at 2007-06-14 12:41]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
For those who like to experiment for themselves ;-) Jun 14, 2007

If you are the owner of a cat, then you know the necessity for a cat litter box. Even if you cat prefers to be outdoors, it is still advisable to provide a litter box for when it's inside. The cat boxes are generally made of plastic, but of course, many other designs and materials are readily available nowadays. Additional cat litter box pieces, such as trays for the litter boxes, are also sold in conjunction with each specific box. This can effectively conceal the litter box by providing an extra barrier between the floor and the box. As it is made of wood, there are many finishes and colours that you can possibly pick from. It will give you to option to mix and match them with the furniture that already exists inside you home. Most of the litter boxes are finished with a glossy finish so that it is quite perfect for a corner table. The cat litter boxes that will be able to purchase from your local pet store will come in a range of designs. The price that you would need to pay will depend on the style and size you choose. To give an idea on pricing, expect to pay less than $20; except for a few fine pieces that may exceed that amount, however, not everyone wants to payout for a glorified cat outhouse. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box (Regular; 17"W X 20"D X 16.5"H; Sage Green/Taupe) It's so simple, it's ingenious. To clean you simply roll the top to the floor and return. The internal mechanism deposits the clumped waste into the waste tray, which you then slide out and empty. Your cat can always have clean litter. Saves you money too--no more scoops, liners or filters to buy. Clean litter is never thrown away. Great covered pan design gives privacy to your cat and prevents mess.

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

[Edited at 2007-06-14 14:28]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"The monitor reports to the police" Jun 14, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Wenjer was right. It was completely translated by some software.

I know the end result is still totally unusable. However, although apparently not ready for prime time, the structure noticeable in some of the translated sentences seems to indicate some progress made in machine translation -- I even mistook it for human involvement.

Steve,

Yes, I also believe it was completely translated by some software. Although the end result is totally unusable (except for our amusement), some websites are still using machine translation for their localization. Sometimes, translation software works quite well. If you use the software to translate 监测报警 in a context of an automatic control system, you will get “monitoring and alarming”, which is pretty good. However, if you use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to do the same, you will get “The monitor reports to the police”.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Futile Effort Jun 14, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Sometimes, translation software works quite well. If you use the software to translate 监测报警 in a context of an automatic control system, you will get “monitoring and alarming”, which is pretty good. However, if you use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to do the same, you will get “The monitor reports to the police”.

Yueyin,

Yes, I agree. It's pretty much a futile effort to try to automate the translation between Chinese and English. The two languages are just so different, not only in terms of customary words and phrases used, but more importantly in regards to grammar and the construction of sentences. Automation might be achievable with some simple phrases and frequently used sentences, but beyond that it would be almost a fool's errand. That kitty litter box web page you showed us was a prime example

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
It works pretty well for some European languages Jun 14, 2007

Steve,

Sometimes, I use babelfish to read some European languages that I don’t understand. It works pretty well for me, especially in scientific fields. As technology advances, software for translation between English and Chinese might get better and better. Just several decades ago, it was still a big problem to input Chinese characters into a computer as far as I remember. However, if prefect software emerged, I am afraid that we as translators would become unemployed!... See more
Steve,

Sometimes, I use babelfish to read some European languages that I don’t understand. It works pretty well for me, especially in scientific fields. As technology advances, software for translation between English and Chinese might get better and better. Just several decades ago, it was still a big problem to input Chinese characters into a computer as far as I remember. However, if prefect software emerged, I am afraid that we as translators would become unemployed!
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Satisfactory results from machine translation Jun 15, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Just several decades ago, it was still a big problem to input Chinese characters into a computer as far as I remember. However, if prefect software emerged, I am afraid that we as translators would become unemployed!

That reminds me. Lying around somewhere, I still have a floppy disk a good friend of mine brought over from China 20 years ago that contains a Chinese character input DOS program. However, I never had a need to learn how to type in Chinese until 2 years ago when I discovered this web site. And by then Microsoft's Chinese Pinyin keyboard input software had already been perfected; and of course DOS and floppy disks had long been relics.

Yep, technology indeed advances at a breakneck pace. But short of a fundamental breakthrough or a miracle, automation of translation between Chinese and English would always remain elusive and pose a challenge. Personally, I doubt it would ever happen.

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The research work is endless. Jun 15, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Yep, technology indeed advances at a breakneck pace. But short of a fundamental breakthrough or a miracle, automation of translation between Chinese and English would always remain elusive and pose a challenge. Personally, I doubt it would ever happen.

Steve,

When I was studying in Germany, a professor who led a research group took me in his project team for "Application Oriented Natural Language Research" as junior assistent researcher. My job was to find a generalized parsing method for German syntax. The professor believed that a non-native would be more keen in such matters as the relations between syntax and semantics. The project was continued after I left and it was about verbal instructions to industrial robots. Pretty interesting, I must say.

Syntax parsing involves what you can notice in the machine translation of that cat website. The translation might be done first with English syntax parsing, then the semantic analytical rules applied to render a set of somehow plausible interpretations for syntactical structures in Chinese. Mapping the glossary entries into the structures yields the (funny) Chinese sentences we got for entertainment.

You see, this is very primitive, as we know that our understanding of semantics is still neither complete nor consistent. A good translation tool shall include a neuron network which helps to refine the parsing and analytical rules in interaction with the users. However, this would take decades of research work, or even centuries. It won't happen in our life time, but it could happen some centuries later. I do believe in this; for feeding the following poem of Jorge Luís Borges into the Google translation tool or Babelfish, you would see how close the results are to the translation of Norman Di Giovanni:

Soy el que sabe que no es menos vano
Que el vano observador que en el espejo
De silencio y cristal sigue el reflejo
O el cuerpo (da lo mismo) del hermano.
Soy, tacitos amigos, el que sabe
Que no hay otra venganza que el olvido
Ni otro perdon. Un dios ha concedido
Al odio humano esta curiosa llave.
Soy el que pese a tan ilustres modos
De errar, no ha descifrado el laberinto
Singular y plural, arduo y distinto,
Del tiempo, que es de uno y es de todos.
Soy el que es nadie, el que no fue una espada
En la guerra. Soy eco, olvido, nada.

Norman Di Giovanni's translation:

I am he who knows himself no less vain
than the vain looker-on who in the mirror
of glass and silence follows the reflection
or body (it's the same thing) of his brother.
I am, my silent friends, the one who knows
there is no other pardon or revenge
than sheer oblivion. A god has granted
this odd solution to all human hates.
Despite my many wondrous wanderings,
I am the one who never has unraveled
the labyrinth of time, singular, plural,
grueling, strange, one's own and everyone's.
I am no one. I did not wield a sword
in battle. I am echo, emptiness, nothing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

這算是翻譯 (Is this considered translation to you?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »